Laboratory of Literature for Children and Youth
Centre for Research on Children’s and Youth Literature was established by the resolution of the Council of the Faculty of Polish Studies at the University of Warsaw on June 23, 2009. It is affiliated at the Institute of Polish Literature at the Faculty of Polish Studies at the University of Warsaw and emerges from the activities of the Inter-university Study Group for the Research on Literature for Children and Youth established in 1969 by Professor Krystyna Kuliczkowska. Research activities within the Centre are conducted by researchers and PhD students of the University of Warsaw’s units: the Faculty of Polish Studies, the Faculty of Journalism, Information and Book Studies, the Faculty of “Artes Liberales,” and the Faculty of Modern Languages, as well as of the Pedagogical University of Cracow.
The members’ research interests include both literary works for children and the image of child and childhood in literature and culture. In particular, research activities focus on the following issues:
– history, theory, and research methodology of children’s and young adult literature in Poland and abroad,
– coming-of-age literature from the 18th century to the present day,
– children’s poetry,
– children’s and young adult drama and play,
– fairy tales and their cultural context,
– fantasy and science fiction,
– relationships of children’s and young adult literature and popular literature,
– children’s book and librarianship history,
– children’s and youth magazines from the 19th century to the present day,
– book circulation, literary criticism, and literary life in the context of children’s and young adult literature,
– readers’ biographies,
– children’s and young adult culture online.
The research conducted by the members reflects both in group initiatives – national and international conferences organized by the Centre – and in individual publications.
In cooperation with the Polish Librarians’ Association (Stowarzyszenie Bibliotekarzy Polskich), the Faculty of Polish Studies coordinates a publishing series entitled Studies in Children’s and Young Adult Literature (Literatura dla dzieci i młodzieży. Studia) in which both the members’ monographs and edited volumes based on the Centre’s conferences are published.
In 2018, the members of the Centre established a scientific journal “Dzieciństwo. Literatura i Kultura”: (“Childhood: Literature and Culture”): https://www.journals.polon.uw.edu.pl/index.php/dlk
Dr. Weronika Kostecka
Krzysztof Rybak, M.A. (secretary)
Michał Czajkowski, M.A.
Agnieszka Dobrowolska, M.A.
Adam Franke, M.A.
Julia Harasimowicz, M.A.
Marta Jaworek, M.A.
Aleksandra Korczak, M.A.
Prof. Dr. habil. Grzegorz Leszczyński
Prof. Dr. habil. Katarzyna Marciniak, University of Warsaw Professor
Katarzyna Mazur-Lejman, M.A.
Anna Mik, M.A.
Marta Niewieczerzał, M.A.
Dr. Anna Perzyńska
Dr. Ewelina Rąbkowska
Dr. Maciej Skowera
Dr. Katarzyna Slany
Karolina Stępień, M.A.
Dr. Michał Zając